Sunday, December 10, 2006

Ice Candy Boy from Bihar


Memories of my village remain fresh in my mind all the while. It's a small village in the north undivided Bihar called 'Manuan' (Manua). It takes about 3 hours road journey from Patna Airport to reach it. It's a calm though growing village situated in between Hajipur and Vaishali. You will remember Vaishali because of many old things like Buddha, Mahavir, Licchvi Ganrajya and legendary Amrapali. Vaishali is vastly regarded as the motherland for democracy.

Coming back to my little village Manuan... My grandfathers used to be landlords there till the government abolished the system. Anyways.. i spent first 7 years of my life in the village playing on muddy roads and chasing the ice candy man.

He used to come on his bycycle every afternoon during the summer days. His cycle had a makeshift whistling device that converted mechanical enerygy derived from wheels to hit an empty tin can to make that noise when the cycle drove.. trrrrrrtrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

We boys used to wait for him in our baniyan's after our lunch. Ice candy man used to give icecream lollies in 10 paise. My house, being big, was a center point for him to stop. Most of the times i never used to have that 10 paisa... all coaxing to mummy and papa used to work less as they considered that lolly bad. But it was that chilling thing for us. My sweet dadi used to be the saviour. I remember her giving us money which she used to keep in her locked iron case or tied in her pallu.

Ice candy man.. He was dark and slim and wore towel turban. I remember getting lollies from him on credit. Since my houses varanda was resting ground for him, he used to sit and negotiate with us about the repayment of that 10paisa... However most of the times when i had money i would just not look at him and give him the money to get the lolly fast.. That red candy which he used to keep in wooden box tied on the back of this bicycle..

After resting for sometime and selling some 2 to 4Rs lollies he used to ride his vehicle again and zoom.. we used to run behind him to listen to that sound for long.. trrrr trrrrrrrrrrrrrrr trrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... sound used to faint in that silent summer afternoon but still we claimed , yes yes.. i can hear it even now ... But all that was left was a sound of flour mill running somewhere far .. puk puk... puk pukk....

8 comments:

Amaresh said...

Hi gaurav..
Really nice to know more about ur life.. and ur village..
i also miss my village too much

Anonymous said...

and sometimes u used to fight with me over the ice candy. and i would snatch the coins from u to buy an extrat one for me!

and one ice candywallah still visits our place at manuan. may be he is the son of him!

Kumar said...

Thank you friends for your comments (online and offline). will try to keep the blog posted with other memories.. Thanks.

Tanuja said...

hey even before my putting the comments how did the site make out my name is tanuja:(

it was a nice read - sound of music

Tanuja said...

reminds me of my cake n breadman & his bhonpuuuu..

Kavitha Kamal said...

hey!,that was emotional man!.......that took me bac to ma childhood!!

Vani said...

nice one. reminds me of my childhood days too.

ksudhanshu said...

Hi Gaurav,

Really nice one to remind my childhood day in my village Ismailpur opposite to Manua. I think sometimes we guys moved to Imaly ka per to grab Imaly.

Thanks a ton for writing this.