Monday, January 15, 2007

Ice Candy Boys goes to USA

It's everyones dream; it's everyones wish to salute uncle sam. It's 120% true for techies who get fat checks due to purchasing power parity of india vis-a-vis USA. The autumns of 2005 brough me an opportunity to touch california. My company was kind enough to send me with one of my friends for a short duration. Purpose was some technical meetings n knowledge transfer, however it turned out to be a paid vacation.

We took singapore airlines for return trip (with stopover at singapore n south korea). It was my first travel abroad and so my parents were more excited than i was.
We started journey to singapore and for the whole part of the journey i kept feeling that the plane is flying too low! Dont know which sense of mine helped me measure the distance! With a quick stopover at spore we boarded spore airlines plane to san francisco(SFO). We landed their on a morning.

My first impression of USA: Too bland and low on colors.. Impression didnt last too long though. SFO airport i wanted to use a public phone to call a frnd there. It needed change which we didnt have. I noticed a machine which read money changer. Since it was my first interaction with such a machine, i fumbled with it big time. But finally i got a change for 1$ note. The country seemed too automated.

We visited SFO city, LasVegas,LosAngeles(disneyland,hollywood) over our stay there on weekends.

All in all i didnt like USA much for more personal reasons. It's very lonely and too far from my dear ones. Money is too much a penalty to get to stay so far from them. USA is for few short visits to me. I cant even dream of being there for years.

No comments: